1941 – Dr. Harold Stemsrud and Dr. G.W. Clifford joined together to practice and are joined by Dr. Carlson and Dr. Wasson in the following years. Mr. Clarence (Kelly) Martinson became the clinic Manager in 1946 and was synonymous with the Alexandria Clinic for the next 30 years.
1955 – With the addition of Dr. Peter Geiser, Dr. William Heegaard and Dr. Douglas Perkins, a larger facility was needed and the original Alexandria Clinic was built at 610 Fillmore Street.
1970’s-1980’s – A period of sustained growth for the Alexandria Clinic with the addition of specialists in the areas of Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology. It was also during this period that a satellite office was established in Osakis.
1988 – A major expansion of the clinic facilities at 610 Fillmore was undertaken, with a complete remodeling of the facility.
1995 – The Osakis Clinic is doubled in size, and a long range plan is developed.
1997 – A new 55,000 square foot building in Alexandria is built to accommodate 31 physicians and two mid-level providers.
2004 – An additional 12,000 square feet is added to accommodate for an increase of six additional providers and expanded space in the Cardiac Care program, which is provided in collaboration with the Minneapolis Heart Institute. It also provided for a new chemotherapy area, expanded the radiology and imaging capabilities and developed a new state-of-the-art education and conference room.
Also in 2004, the clinic embarked on a major project to convert patient records to an electronic, paperless medical record. Electronic records are more accessible and complete, and they improve patient confidentiality. The electronic record also provides for better communications with other providers and referral sources.
2012 – The Alexandria Clinic became a service of Alomere Health (then known as Douglas County Hospital) through an integration of the two organizations. This merger, along with Heartland Orthopedic Specialists, brought three community-based service providers under one umbrella. With over 50 providers and expertise in ten specialties, this merger will make them one of the state’s largest integrated community healthcare providers.